Biomass plant row to reach Downing Street
Last updated at 14:16, Monday, 02 July 2012
THE fight to stop a biomass power station coming to Barrow is heading to Downing Street.
Anti-power station group Furness Opposes Biomass is set to present its petition against plans for the 80MW facility to representatives of prime minister David Cameron on July 12.
The petition against Centrica’s proposals to build the plant at Roose has so far attracted more than 12,000 signatures and is believed to be the biggest petition ever collected in Furness. The new power station would replace the existing gas-fired Roosecote facility.
Campaigner, Councillor Ray Guselli, has said the issue has seen an unprecedented response from people in the area.
He told the Evening Mail: “We are going down to present the petition the Thursday after next. We are restricted to six people going down, as only so many can hand it over to Number 10.
“We have about 12,200 signatures on the petition, which is remarkable. We have never had so many responses to a petition.”
Centrica has stressed a final decision about the power station is yet to be made and that it will continue to listen to the view of the people of Barrow. It is understood to be considering submitting a formal application to the Planning Inspectorate in the coming weeks.
A spokesman for the energy giant said: “Centrica has undertaken significant public consultation on its proposals to both inform residents and other interested parties on the plans, and to allow early views to be expressed.
“This includes public exhibitions and meetings, two leaflets to 37,000 households and businesses, significant media coverage and a dedicated website through which we have received a number of submissions.”
FOB member Scott Symon said the trip to London presented a good opportunity for people in Furness to have their voices heard by those in government.
He said: “The petition has been about convincing people all down the line. It has gotten so big that it would be silly if we hadn’t taken it to Downing Street.
“We are looking forward to it, the chance to go there is absolutely terrific.
“Whether they listen to us or not is another thing, but this is a great opportunity and hopefully the fact that 12,000 people have opposed it gives us a voice.”
First published at 10:34, Saturday, 30 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
If the Biomass plant goes ahead it shows what a mockery it is to have a public consultation. Just a procedure they go through to bulldoze their way through to what they want. It will be nothing short of disgraceful.
I have to echo Brianâs comments below well done everyone involved in fighting this plant being built both FOB and the Furness residents who have said NO so far in the biggest ever Furness petition. Hopefully the people in power down in London make the right decision like John Woodcock did and say NO. If not then we still wonât give up the fight
View all 6 comments on this article