Bid to get Windermere air show up and running again
Last updated at 16:18, Monday, 17 March 2014
A POPULAR Lake District event which brought thousands to the area looks set to be revived after it was cancelled in 2011.
Windermere Air Festival could make a comeback in the last weekend of September with a Royal Marine display, food festival and fireworks over the water.
“We’re in basic talks with other parties and we’re looking for sponsors because we want to make this a reality,” said Paul Milledge, a director of Showcase Events Limited, which has taken on the organisation of show.
“If we can get some good sponsors it could continue year on year which would be brilliant.”
The show ran for 11 years at Bowness with the first 10 organised by Windermere Rotary Club.
They passed it over to Bluestone Events which ran it for one year as a commercial event but it attracted criticism over parking charges and a new entry fee to the Glebe. It was eventually cancelled in 2012.
“We wouldn’t charge entry,” Mr Milledge added.
His company planned to make money through sponsorship and renting out stalls – but all profit would be ploughed back into the following year’s event.
First published at 15:32, Monday, 17 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Obviously you know nothing about airshows or you would know requests for RAF assets are due in by the end of September the previous year, so this year is going to be a struggle for you. No Reds No BBMF No Typhoon as they already have their allocations for this year. Don't get me wrong i'd love to see it back, been many times a great event.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (24 comments)
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (1 comment)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton