Bid to get Windermere air show up and running again
Last updated at 16:18, Monday, 17 March 2014
A POPULAR Lake District event which brought thousands to the area looks set to be revived after it was cancelled in 2011.
Windermere Air Festival could make a comeback in the last weekend of September with a Royal Marine display, food festival and fireworks over the water.
“We’re in basic talks with other parties and we’re looking for sponsors because we want to make this a reality,” said Paul Milledge, a director of Showcase Events Limited, which has taken on the organisation of show.
“If we can get some good sponsors it could continue year on year which would be brilliant.”
The show ran for 11 years at Bowness with the first 10 organised by Windermere Rotary Club.
They passed it over to Bluestone Events which ran it for one year as a commercial event but it attracted criticism over parking charges and a new entry fee to the Glebe. It was eventually cancelled in 2012.
“We wouldn’t charge entry,” Mr Milledge added.
His company planned to make money through sponsorship and renting out stalls – but all profit would be ploughed back into the following year’s event.
First published at 15:32, Monday, 17 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Obviously you know nothing about airshows or you would know requests for RAF assets are due in by the end of September the previous year, so this year is going to be a struggle for you. No Reds No BBMF No Typhoon as they already have their allocations for this year. Don't get me wrong i'd love to see it back, been many times a great event.
Make your comment
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (1 comment)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (3 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Net gain for Furness tennis players: with picture gallery
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid