Best wishes sent to South Lakes politician recovering from heart attack
Published at 15:57, Thursday, 21 February 2013
BEST wishes have been paid to a veteran councillor as he recovers from a heart attack.
Councillor Joss Curwen, who represents the Broughton ward on South Lakeland District Council, received treatment in Blackpool Victoria Hospital after suffering a heart attack several weeks ago.
Cllr Curwen is now recovering at his Waitham Hill home between Broughton and Kirkby and despite his illness he has not resigned from his post.
A passionate campaigner for the villages of Kirkby and Broughton, Cllr Curwen has famously missed only a handful of meetings during his time as a parish and district councillor.
He was the driving force behind plans to install a new sewerage system in Kirkby and he has been an active campaigner regarding highways safety in South Cumbria.
Cllr Curwen, a father of one, has served as an SLDC councillor since 1987 and will be up for re-election if he chooses to stand in 2015.
Councillor James Airey, leader of the Conservative group on SLDC, said: “As the group leader we wish him a speedy recovery. He is a hard working member of the group and he is very well thought of in the community.
“He is one of the more active councillors, but the rest of the group will cover his workload while he is off. We wish him all the best.”
A spokeswoman for SLDC said: “We are aware Cllr Curwen has been ill and he is recovering at home.
“He is still a member of the council. We wish him well in his recovery.”
When contacted by the Evening Mail Cllr Curwen’s family said he was not well enough to speak.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|