Beer and bands make for a big weekend
Last updated at 16:41, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
GRASMERE plays host to one of the Lake District’s biggest beer festivals this weekend, and there is also a live music line-up to match.
Getting under way on Friday at the Dale Lodge Hotel, the Grasmere Guzzler - now in its eighth year - has a full programme of bands and artists over the three days.
Friday evening kicks off with a solo performance from acoustic act Jimi Hodgson, with Barrow rockers Collie Stewart & The Roomers, psychedelic outfit Sad-Eyed Puffins, punk bands The Convulsions and Catholic Abuse Apology, and a headline set from ‘disco folk’ trio Handbrake Shirley. Music runs from 6pm to midnight.
Taffy Thomas starts the Saturday proceedings at 1.30pm with an hour of storytelling, before Keswick’s Tethera take the stage. Drum corps Deatbeats are swiftly followed by reggae rock band Righteous Bees, with Samh, Spiral Scouts, Molly Warburton, Mobius Loop and Jabba The Funk, leading up to closers Diddley Squat, who play from around 10.30pm.
Sunday is equally-packed, with ‘Poets’ Hour’ at 1.30pm, featuring readings from Mark Ward, Neil Robinson, and Richard Stanton. Jules Ward, Fiona in the Lakes, Don’t Tell Suzy , Freyja Burke, Lily & Scott, John Rothwell, Olivia Miller, Dawn Foster and Olivia Fern all set to appear between 2.30pm and 9pm. Then it is the turn for Barrow’s highly-rated folk duo Paper Cranes to finish proceedings.
Add to the mix more than 80 real ales, ciders and perrys, homemade food and a barbecue, and you’ve got one of the best events in the Lakes to round out the summer.
First published at 16:25, Monday, 01 September 2014
Published by http://www.cumbrialive.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Police warning - Barrow road closed after traffic collision
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock (2 comments)
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow firm hosts successful recruitment fair (1 comment)
- Paddlers steam ahead on choppy Coniston Water
- Barrow Raiders have fingers crossed for Ward
- Post Office close to delivering Ulverston League shock
- Taylor keen to stay at Barrow AFC
- Askam football ace ready to take on the world with England (1 comment)
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Barrow Raiders claw victory at Bears
- Barrow Raiders brush Bears aside
- Theo makes trip very worthwhile
- Wheelbase crew happy to hang in there with elite riders
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|