TV’s Tony Robinson full of praise for Barrow museum attraction
Last updated at 16:40, Friday, 19 October 2012
A TV legend has been singing the praises of a tourist attraction that was under threat 12 months ago.
Tony Robinson, best known for his role as Baldrick in the comedy series Blackadder and more recently as presenter of Time Team, visited the Dock Museum, in Barrow, as part of a documentary about the Holland-class submarines.
The submarines were built by the then Vickers shipyard in Barrow and were the first to be commissioned into the Royal Navy.
Mr Robinson, 66, said: “This was my first visit to Barrow since I was a kid. We used to come on holiday to the Lake District.
“I was absolutely blown away by the Dock Museum.
“A big pat on the back is deserved by Barrow Borough Council to be able to sustain it during such difficult times.
“It really is a jewel in the crown.”
Mr Robinson said Barrow’s submarine building history was central to the story of the Holland-class submarines.
An early example of the subs is currently being excavated in the Solent, near Southampton.
Mr Robinson is also filming at Barrow’s docks to help tell the tale of the subs.
The first boat, Holland One, was launched in secret in 1901 but was lost in 1913 while being towed to be decommissioned – the boat was recovered in 1982 and put on display at the Royal Navy Museum in Gosport.
The boats, named Holland One to Holland Five were commissioned between 1903 and 1914 and boats three, four and five all sank.
Holland Five was lost off the Sussex coast in 1912 and in 1973 was designated as a protected wreck site in January 2005.
Mr Robinson added: “There was the hugest gulf between the Holland-class and the Astute-class we are seeing now.
“It would be like comparing a stay at the Grand Metropole to a B&B.
“They don’t compare.”
Mr Robinson said the documentary is due to be aired by Channel 4 some time between Christmas and Easter.
First published at 16:39, Friday, 19 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|