Tributes to former Barrow Borough Council treasurer
Last updated at 16:44, Friday, 18 January 2013
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former council treasurer and keen artist.
Ronald Moon died aged 83 at his home in Harrel Lane, Barrow, on January 9 after a long illness.
Family, friends and former colleagues gathered to pay their respects and remember the life of Mr Moon yesterday at St George’s Church, Barrow.
The Reverend Gary Creegen said: “St George’s Church was so close to his heart. In the east window the town hall is depicted.”
The service reflected on the impact Mr Moon had on the lives of everyone he knew. Mr Creegen said: “Ron was a gentleman in every way. He was a caretaker. He was always taking care of people.”
Mr Moon began his local government career at 16 as a junior wages clerk with the then county borough council at Barrow.
He then spent four years in the council’s building department in a financial capacity before returning to the borough treasurer’s department.
He continued working at Barrow until 1968 when he was appointed chief financial officer to the then Dalton Urban District Council, a post he held until the authority disappeared under local government reorganisation in 1974.
Mr Moon returned to Barrow Borough Council as an assistant chief financial officer, before becoming deputy borough treasurer. He stepped up to the role of treasurer in 1982 and served for four years before giving up the post on health grounds.
Barrow town clerk Derek Lyon paid tribute to him at the time, describing him as “an unassuming man who has always given his best”.
Mr Moon is survived by his widow Rita, sons Tony and Peter, three grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Mrs Moon described her late husband as gentle and respectable.
She said: “He was a very gentle man, loving and caring. He was very respectable and loved his family.
“He was in the Barrow Society of Artists and enjoyed painting. That was his main hobby, he made model aircraft when he was younger and had a lot of hobbies.”
First published at 16:43, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|