Support for true Christmas spirit in Barrow
Last updated at 16:33, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
FURNESS residents have demonstrated there is no limit to their kindness after inundating the Evening Mail’s office with food parcels in the last week.
The incredible response since the newspaper announced its status as a collection point for the Barrow Foodbank has exceeded all expectations.
Readers old and young have brought bags upon bags of precious non-perishable food items into the office where they will be passed on to the foodbank.
Evening Mail editor and publisher Jonathan Lee said: “We have had a magnificent response from our readers and this food will be a great relief to those who otherwise would have gone hungry over the holiday period.”
Meanwhile, residents in Barrow, Ulverston and Millom are set to benefit from a substantial donation to the foodbank from the new Tesco, in Rawlinson Street.
Store manager Neil Stanton presented foodbank representative Barrow and Furness MP John Woodcock with a cheque for £500 at the shop’s opening last week.
“We were delighted to be able to support the charity as it does such fantastic work for those living in the Barrow community,” Mr Stanton said.
“We are so pleased that John came to open the new store and join in the celebrations with us.
“We are really enjoying meeting our new customers and we hope that Tesco will become a key part of the local community.”
Mr Woodcock, who has been a strong supporter of the foodbank even before he cut the ribbon at its opening earlier in the year, said the money was much-appreciated by all involved in the service.
“I would like to thank Tesco for this generous donation that will be used towards setting up satellite distribution centres in Ulverston and Millom.”
First published at 16:32, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|