Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 04 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Remembrance Sunday - picture special

HUNDREDS of people turned out in Barrow Park to commemorate Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph.

Medals were glinting in the morning sunshine as silence descended around the monument at 11am.

Current and ex-servicemen stood in silence to remember those who had died at war and those caught up in current conflicts.

Stephen Helm, 46, of Gradwell Court in Barrow fought in the Falklands War when he was just 18.

He said: “It’s important to remember the people that fought in the wars and to pay our respects to those who died there. Most people here have a relative who fought in World War Two or who are out in Afghanistan at the moment, so we have to remember what those people have done for us.”

The ceremony was led by Methodist Superintendant and Chaplain to the Mayor, Reverend Martin Williams.

Rows of local servicemen stood alongside uniformed cadets, soldiers, sailors and representatives from the police and fire and rescue services.

They laid wreaths of poppies around the cenotaph’s base after The Last Post signified the end of the two minutes silence.

The popularity of the service proved that people in Barrow still believe that those who have fought and are still fighting for their country should not be forgotten.

Sea Cadet Paige Hartley, 15, of Rawlinson Street, Barrow, was one of the bugle players who sounded the Last Post at the ceremony.

She said: “I think it’s a very important that we take the time to remember them because they’ve served their country and they’re giving their time and effort so it’s important that we recognise that fact.” Bob McGill, 86, from Barrow, was only 16 when he went to war in 1939. He says he stayed in service until October 1953 because he “just couldn’t get out”.

Mr McGill said: “When the war broke out I was in the navy picking up survivors and then 10 years later, that’s when they blew up the boat I was on. In my day, thousands died.

“I was hit three times by the Japanese before I got to come home.

“For the 20 years after I got home, I never bothered going to the services, but now it’s on a Sunday people remember.

“That’s why you get so many people here.”

Mr McGill held up a commemorative coin which signified 1,500 people who drowned on one boat.

Remembrance services also took place across south Cumbria, including Millom, Ulverston and Dalton.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Do you back plans for a watersports centre in Ulverston?



Show Result


Has there been too much hype about the royal baby?



Show Result


Is the UK doing enough to help victims of the earthquake in Nepal?



Show Result


Will you be voting in the 2015 General Election?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

Choosing a pre-school

Luscombe Plant Hire

Great Daffodil appeal 2015

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out