Remembrance services as South Cumbria honours heroes
Last updated at 16:48, Friday, 09 November 2012
THE sacrifices of servicemen and women past and present will be remembered at a number of ceremonies across South Cumbria on Sunday.
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month marks the anniversary of the armistice signed between Germany and the Allies in 1918 to signal the beginning of the end of World War I.
On Sunday in Barrow, people are encouraged to assemble outside the town hall at 10.15am, before a march to the Cenotaph at 10.35am for the service.
Similar events will be held at Dalton, Ulverston, Millom and Grange.
David Bridge, who will experience his first Remembrance Day as secretary of Barrow’s British Legion Club, said after the services many veterans would gather there to catch up.
“People will came back after the services and have a good chin-wag because for some of the veterans it’s the only time in the year when they see each other,” he said.
“I’d say it’s more of a happy occasion. They do some reminiscing obviously and that sort of thing, but they talk about their service and swap stories.”
“The Army Cadets and the Air Training Corps also come along and we’re always trying to attract younger members along because a lot of the older members have gone, sadly.”
- Barrow – Dignitaries will assemble outside Barrow Town Hall at 10.15am, with a parade to the Cenotaph beginning at 10.35am and the remembrance service starting at 10.55am.
- Dalton – People to assemble in Tudor Square at 10.35am, with the parade to the war memorial setting off at 10.45am.
- Ulverston – Parish Church at St Mary’s, Church Walk at 2.30pm. Parade to church will form at 2.10pm, leaving New Market Street at 2.15pm.
- Millom – Parade leaves Pensioners’ Hall on the corner of Mainsgate Road and St George’s Road at 9.30am. Service at St George’s Church starting at 10am.
- Grange – Service to be held at 2pm at St Paul’s Church at the top of the main street on the hill.
First published at 16:47, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|