Man arrested outside Furness Magistrates' Court
Last updated at 11:57, Friday, 23 November 2012
A MAN with mental health issues was arrested outside court after using foul language in front of magistrates.
Jason Nelson appeared before Furness Magistrates’ Court today charged with causing £100-worth of damage to property belonging to Barrow Probation Service on November 8.
The 41-year-old, of Ainslie Street, Barrow, admitted the offence, but launched into a rant and refused to pay compensation.
He told the court: “I’m guilty, but I’m not paying that £100.
“I’ll go to jail - it doesn’t bother me because I hate the system anyway.
“The system has let me down big-style.”
Proceedings were adjourned and the clerk told the court there was also a crown court warrant in Nelson’s name.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, said: “He has significant mental health problems and has recently been referred to Dane Garth (Mental Health Unit at Furness General Hospital).”
Mr Bob Fletcher, presiding magistrate, said it was a “clear” contempt of court.
A police spokeswoman said Nelson was arrested at 11.24am on Thursday 22 November on suspicion of a public order offence.
First published at 11:54, Thursday, 22 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Barrow and Dalton among most desirable places to live - poll finds (19 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|