Barrow woman’s skull fractured in attack
Published at 09:35, Thursday, 24 July 2014
A VIOLENT thug has been jailed for six years after fracturing a Barrow woman’s skull with an elephant statue.
Fiona Dennison was found lying in a pool of blood by her daughter after the unprovoked attack by Darren Doran.
Preston Crown Court heard yesterday how the 34-year-old lost his temper during an argument.
Doran pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding with intent on January 28.
The court was told that at the time of the attack in Longway, Barrow, Miss Dennison’s daughter was in bed when she heard a sound like someone falling over.
Miss Jane Dagnall, prosecuting, said there was a big thud, followed by lots of thud noises. Miss Dennison was heard shouting faintly “help”.
She was found lying on the floor and the elephant plant ornament was on her head.
Miss Dagnall said: “She described losing consciousness and having vomited several times. The wound was sutured. She was sent for a CT scan, which confirmed there were multiple fractures of the skull.”
In a victim personal statement, Miss Dennison said she didn’t deserve the beating. As a result of the assault, she has had trouble sleeping, has kept waking up and reliving parts of the attack and has not felt safe in her own home.
Miss Dagnall said the woman no longer wanted anything to do with Doran.
Doran had 75 previous offences to his name, including assaulting a previous partner.
Miss Lisa Ke, defending, said: “He is extremely remorseful. He has said he can’t forgive himself.”
Doran was given a four-year extended licence after his prison term and made the subject of a restraining order for an indefinite period.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together