Barrow recycling firm to be shut down
Last updated at 16:32, Monday, 03 September 2012
MOVES are being made for a Barrow community interest company to be shut down.
Arc Recycling, which collected furniture, kitchenware, clothes and ornaments and then resold the goods, ceased trading from its base in Salthouse Road earlier this summer.
And now Companies House has confirmed that it has made moves for the company to be struck off.
A spokesman for the group said: “There is a proposal to strike the company off.
“Basically, the company has failed to file their annual return and that may be why there is a proposal to strike off.
“It doesn’t necessarily mean the accounts have not been filed, but there has been an objection raised.
“It could be the case that people have objected against the dissolution but we couldn’t confirm their identities.”
Earlier this month, Cumbria County Council confirmed it has launched a legal bid to retrieve a £10,000 grant which was given to Arc last year.
Earlier this month, a county council spokesman said: “Arc Recycling was paid on a per-tonne basis for recovered material through the council’s recycling credits scheme.
“Payments have now ceased as there is no record of any current trading activity.
“The county council’s legal team is also pursuing the recovery of a £10,000 grant given to the company in September 2011 through our waste prevention fund.
“The terms of the grant, which was used by Arc Recycling to pay for a forklift truck and a warehouse storage system, was that it is recoverable on a decreasing sliding scale if the recipient disposes of the assets within five years.
“If the assets are no longer being used by Arc Recycling for the purpose they were intended for then the council is owed the full value of the original grant.
“If the company has gone into liquidation or receivership, although we have had no confirmation of this for Arc Recycling, then we would join other creditors looking to recover what they can from what they are owed.”
Paul Fitzpatrick, a former director of Arc, said he was sending an objection to prevent the community interest company from being shut down.
He said: “It does seem to drag on. I am sending an objection away today and that will mean three different people have made objections. Hopefully alarm bells should ring now that I have sent information off to the Companies Investigation Board and the Community Interest Companies regulator as well.”
The CIC regulator’s office said they had not received much information from Arc.
A spokesman said: “We haven’t had much information from them other than it is still trading.
“If there is any monies that are owed then the affected party can make a claim for this money.
“If there are assets remaining these could then be used repay any debts that may exist.”
The Evening Mail made a number of attempts to speak to Arc director Simon Hyams but was unable to contact him.
First published at 16:31, Monday, 03 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This is were Cumbrias money went the above email