Barrow memorial taunts ‘rip father’s heart out’
Last updated at 15:01, Tuesday, 23 October 2012
A GRIEVING father says he will stop his charity work, after being subjected to an onslaught of criticism following the unveiling of a roadside memorial to his teenage son.
Joseph Took died following a road accident in February, aged 18.
His family unveiled a plaque at the spot where he died in Abbey Road, Barrow, last week but they have come under fire due to the prominence of the memorial, which has been described as a distraction and similar to a ‘grave’.
In response to the criticism Mr Took has announced will redesign the memorial – but will also give up his charity work.
Mr Took told the Evening Mail: “We are going to take away the whole border.
“We didn’t intend for so many people to be so upset about it. The only people getting upset are me and my wife.
“After this I don’t want to do anything more. I’ve got a sponsored weight loss but I don’t want to do anything after that.
“My charity work is finished. It rips my heart out.”
Since the death of the popular teenager, Mr Took has devoted his time to raising thousands of pounds for five charities; the Royal Air Force Association, Royal National Lifeboat Institution, Macmillan Cancer Support, North West Air Ambulance and the Fire Fighters Charity.
As well as bowing out of his charity commitments Mr Took has announced the charity music concert Diamond Fest, which was due to take place in February to mark the year anniversary of his son’s death, has been cancelled.
Mr Took has apologised for the complaints about the memorial and to Chris Hartley, the monumental mason who installed the plaque.
He said: “I would like to apologise to Alan Barker and his team at the town hall for the trouble we have caused by overstepping what was permitted at the crash site.
We were only given permission for the plaque, however, at the last moment we thought a board to protect it would be a good idea.
“As we’ve said, we don’t want to upset anyone and this border has, so we have now decided to remove it completely and leave only the plaque.”
He added: “Our family would like to thank the town hall for all the support they have given us in this matter and that we greatly appreciated all they have done for us in these trying times.”
First published at 10:20, Thursday, 18 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Mr Took erected the plaque highlighting where his son was killed.In Greece there are so many road side tributes to individuals. Some people who have commented on this website have obviously not been in the same position as Mr Took.When we bring children into the world, nurture them, love them, teach them to be good community citizens - law abiding, manners etc, we don't expect to out live them.Mr Took has gone through the correct channels & erected the plaque as a memorial to his son. All these negative comments really show some so-called Barrovians up for their pettiness. Think of how much grief the Took family (&friends) are going through, leave them to grieve as they see fit.Sorry for your loss Mr Took, take no notice of the negativity. As for your charity works, reading these comments, the decision to withdraw your efforts is entirely yours.
'Some Barrovian' is a bit naive, anything that distracts you should be discouraged. The correct place for memorials is cemeteries, not roadsides. Warmest wishes to the grieving family though.
View all 43 comments on this article