Barrow man who threatened to kill cop sentenced
Last updated at 17:03, Friday, 16 November 2012
A MAN who made threats to kill a police officer due to give evidence against him at trial has been ordered to complete 50 hours of unpaid work.
Daniel John Bower, of Maple Street, Barrow, pleaded guilty yesterday at Furness Magistrates’ Court to one count of causing harassment, alarm or distress.
During a meeting with probation officer Josie Shinn on September 13, the 33-year-old made threats against Barrow Detective Constable Wayne Dixon.
Bower had been convicted the previous month of biting DC Dixon on the forearm amid a violent disturbance at a Barrow address on May 7.
He was sentenced to a 12-week suspended jail sentence, which was later amended to 200 hours of unpaid work on appeal.
In a statement, Ms Shinn said Bower arrived at her office in an agitated state after learning that, due to the conviction, he had been suspended from his job as a taxi driver.
She said he was ranting about PC Dixon and told her “I don’t care what happens to me, he’s ruined my life so I’ll ruin his,” and “I’ll be in custody by the end of the day”.
Prosecutor Mr John Appleby told the court Bower then said he would go down to the police station and “kill” the officer.
Ms Shinn was so concerned at Bower’s behaviour that she reported the matter to police and he was arrested a short time later.
Initially charged with doing an act which harmed a witness or juror, Bower pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of causing harassment, alarm or distress.
Miss Karen Templeton, defending, said her client was sorry for taking out his frustrations on the victim.
She said on that day he was particularly upset at having learned he had lost his job as he was the breadwinner for a pregnant girlfriend and young child.
“He was ranting, he was upset,” she said. “It’s unfortunate that this young lady got the brunt of this.”
Bower was ordered to carry out 50 hours of unpaid work, pay £50 costs and £75 compensation to Ms Shinn.
First published at 10:17, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|