Barrow man who threatened to kill cop sentenced
Last updated at 17:03, Friday, 16 November 2012
A MAN who made threats to kill a police officer due to give evidence against him at trial has been ordered to complete 50 hours of unpaid work.
Daniel John Bower, of Maple Street, Barrow, pleaded guilty yesterday at Furness Magistrates’ Court to one count of causing harassment, alarm or distress.
During a meeting with probation officer Josie Shinn on September 13, the 33-year-old made threats against Barrow Detective Constable Wayne Dixon.
Bower had been convicted the previous month of biting DC Dixon on the forearm amid a violent disturbance at a Barrow address on May 7.
He was sentenced to a 12-week suspended jail sentence, which was later amended to 200 hours of unpaid work on appeal.
In a statement, Ms Shinn said Bower arrived at her office in an agitated state after learning that, due to the conviction, he had been suspended from his job as a taxi driver.
She said he was ranting about PC Dixon and told her “I don’t care what happens to me, he’s ruined my life so I’ll ruin his,” and “I’ll be in custody by the end of the day”.
Prosecutor Mr John Appleby told the court Bower then said he would go down to the police station and “kill” the officer.
Ms Shinn was so concerned at Bower’s behaviour that she reported the matter to police and he was arrested a short time later.
Initially charged with doing an act which harmed a witness or juror, Bower pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of causing harassment, alarm or distress.
Miss Karen Templeton, defending, said her client was sorry for taking out his frustrations on the victim.
She said on that day he was particularly upset at having learned he had lost his job as he was the breadwinner for a pregnant girlfriend and young child.
“He was ranting, he was upset,” she said. “It’s unfortunate that this young lady got the brunt of this.”
Bower was ordered to carry out 50 hours of unpaid work, pay £50 costs and £75 compensation to Ms Shinn.
First published at 10:17, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together