Barrow drugs raid sees cannabis seized and man arrested
Last updated at 16:36, Friday, 18 January 2013
POLICE carried out their second drugs raid in two days as part of a crackdown on dealing.
Officers raided a property in Low Moor Terrace in the Ormsgill area of Barrow at 7.30am yesterday.
Some eight officers in three vans went to the address and one man was apprehended outside the property.
The raid followed another operation in Askam on Wednesday, in which a man and a woman were arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs with intent to supply and a quantity of drugs was seized.
Sergeant Jim Bailey, of Barrow police, said both raids were based on information the police had been given by the public.
Following yesterday’s raid a 42-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing a class B drug with intent to supply.
Sgt Bailey said a large amount of what he believed to be cannabis was found inside the property.
“There’s an ongoing investigation and a large quantity of cannabis was seized, the suspect will be interviewed later,” he said.
A leaflet drop had been carried out after the operation to encourage people in the neighbourhood to come forward with any information they might have about drugs in the area.
Sgt Bailey said his team would always try to act on information from the public quickly, by getting a warrant to allow officers to search houses where they believed drugs were being kept.
He said: “It is just trying to target drug dealing and drug activity in general and generally it’s motivated by intelligence we get.
We get times when we will get a spate of warrants. We have now had two good results in two days.”
The suspect was bailed. Anyone who thinks they may have information about drug dealing near where they live is asked to contact Cumbria police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 10:31, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together