Barrow’s first traditional Christmas market has been hailed a success
Last updated at 16:46, Sunday, 11 December 2011
BARROW’S first traditional Christmas market has been hailed a success.
Shoppers and traders braved some bitter weather at the town's first Christmas Market.
From Friday until Sunday, 23 log cabins stretched down Dalton Road, offering festive food, toys, drink and gifts to shoppers.
Barrow Borough Council and the North-West Evening Mail teamed up to create the market to boost Christmas shopping in the town.
Crowds lined the road to see Santa, complete with reindeer all the way from the Cairngorm mountains, process down Abbey Road to the Town Hall on Friday evening.
Trade on Friday started slowly as rain kept some shoppers away, but the crowds swelled on Saturday as the sun came out.
Frank Stretton, commercial director at the North-West Evening Mail, said overall the event had been a success.
He said: “A lot of people had smiles on their faces and I think it was really good event for the local community. Barrow was bustling all weekend, and in particular on Saturday.
“Feedback from traders in the chalets and the shops was that footfall in the town centre was significantly higher than normal.
“Hopefully it is the start of something big. I am looking forward to the feedback from traders on how their year on year sales have been.”
For a full report and a two-page picture special, see Monday's Evening Mail.
First published at 10:55, Friday, 09 December 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- Barrow AFC defender to sign new two-year deal
- Barrow AFC keeper battle to heat up
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|