Barrow’s first traditional Christmas market has been hailed a success
Last updated at 16:46, Sunday, 11 December 2011
BARROW’S first traditional Christmas market has been hailed a success.
Shoppers and traders braved some bitter weather at the town's first Christmas Market.
From Friday until Sunday, 23 log cabins stretched down Dalton Road, offering festive food, toys, drink and gifts to shoppers.
Barrow Borough Council and the North-West Evening Mail teamed up to create the market to boost Christmas shopping in the town.
Crowds lined the road to see Santa, complete with reindeer all the way from the Cairngorm mountains, process down Abbey Road to the Town Hall on Friday evening.
Trade on Friday started slowly as rain kept some shoppers away, but the crowds swelled on Saturday as the sun came out.
Frank Stretton, commercial director at the North-West Evening Mail, said overall the event had been a success.
He said: “A lot of people had smiles on their faces and I think it was really good event for the local community. Barrow was bustling all weekend, and in particular on Saturday.
“Feedback from traders in the chalets and the shops was that footfall in the town centre was significantly higher than normal.
“Hopefully it is the start of something big. I am looking forward to the feedback from traders on how their year on year sales have been.”
For a full report and a two-page picture special, see Monday's Evening Mail.
First published at 10:55, Friday, 09 December 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|