Barrow children’s Paralympics experience
Published at 11:51, Thursday, 30 August 2012
CHILDREN have welcomed the start of the London 2012 Paralympics with a sports day celebration.
Youngsters at The Old Vicarage Day Nursery, in Barrow, had a go at playing football blindfolded with a ball with a bell in it yesterday ahead of the opening ceremony of the Games last night.
About 50 children, aged between two and four years old, enjoyed a dedicated day of sport at the Hartington Street nursery.
The little ones also took part in wheelchair-based races and seated basketball, and they made Paralympic torches.
Rachel Smith, leader from the Blackbird Room at the nursery, said: “We wanted to hold our event on the day of the Paralympics opening ceremony to make our children aware that the Games are starting.
“The day showed the children that everyone can take part in sports and disability doesn’t get in the way. The children were very enthusiastic about the events and they soon got the hang of the sports. They were very intrigued by playing football blindfolded.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together