Sporting chance for South Cumbria coaching firm
Last updated at 12:26, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
LIFELONG passion for sport has led one football coach to help pass on his passion to a new generation.
Brian Dawson set up Onside Soccer Coaching as a one-man outfit back in 2004 and now nine years on he has a team of eight helping to deliver sports coaching to schools and youth groups across South Cumbria.
Last year the company underwent a rebrand recognising its wider work and is now trading as Onside Sports Coaching, covering everything from cricket to rugby league and working with some of the area’s best athletes.
Mr Dawson originally took part in the Linkstart programme when he set up the company and he has now received guidance from the Britain’s Energy Coast Backing Business scheme.
The scheme provided Onside Sports Coaching with a £1,000 grant to help buy new equipment including bibs and uniforms, as well as helping to provide some help in terms of the direction of the company.
He said: “We were offered advice and it was all really helpful.
“During the last year we changed from Onside Soccer to Onside Sports Coaching – the money has helped us financially, obviously, but the advice was good too.”
The company is split into three geographical areas working with schools and groups in South Copeland, North Copeland and the South Lakes – and each manager works with two or three coaches as well as professional rugby and cricket players to provide the coaching.
The real benefits of working with Backing Business has been helping Mr Dawson to change his outlook from that of a sportsman to working and thinking within the business world.
He added: “I’m not a businessman – this started as a one-man band but Backing Business is helping me to become a businessman.
“It is going really well and it’s down to the people involved in Backing Business.”
First published at 15:56, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|