£4m hub to bring 30 jobs to Barrow
Last updated at 13:02, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
A £4m investment in the offshore wind industry is set to create 30 long-term jobs in Barrow.
The development, which will serve as a monitoring and maintenance hub for the West of Duddon Sands offshore windfarm, is due to be completed by November.
Danish energy giant Dong Energy is working alongside ScottishPower Renewables and the firms have launched a recruitment campaign.
The West of Duddon Sands offshore windfarm is expected to provide enough power to meet the annual electricity consumption of around 300,000 households.
A total of 108 Siemens 3.6MW turbines, with a total capacity of 389MW, will make this one of the largest offshore windfarms in the world when construction begins in 2014.
Benj Sykes, UK country manager for Dong Energy’s wind business, said: “We are already a big employer in Barrow, having created more than 75 full time jobs here over the last six years.
“Building our third O&M base in the town, after those for Barrow and Walney Offshore Wind Farms, is a tangible demonstration of our commitment to the area, and ourcommitment to Barrow’s Energy Hub.
“We are constructing the West of Duddon Sands offshore windfarm with our partners ScottishPower Renewables over the next two years, and when complete, this base will provide 24-hour, 365 days-a-year monitoring, with easy access to the windfarm from the moorings next to the O&M building.”
Charlie Jordan, ScottishPower Renewables project director, said: “Barrow is a major hub for renewable energy developments in the north west, and we are delighted to be basing our operations and maintenance facilities here for the West of Duddon Sands project.
“These are highly skilled jobs that will help to support the local economy.
“The region has a strong engineering talent pool that we hope to be able to tap in to.”
The positions include head of operations, assistant operations manager, site assistant, wind turbine technician and high voltage engineers.
First published at 13:31, Sunday, 03 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Browse the ASBO gallery (9 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|