Barrow drink driver tried to foil police by eating chocolate orange

Furness Magistrates Court in Barrow JON GRANGER
Furness Magistrates Court in Barrow JON GRANGER
24 May 2016 9:08AM

A DRINK driving electrician tried to stuff a Terry's Chocolate orange in his mouth after being pulled over by police.

Robert Selby appeared before Furness Magistrates' Court yesterday (23) for sentencing.

Mr Peter Kelly, prosecuting, said: "The circumstances are that the defendant was driving along The Promenade on Walney at about 6am on April 27. The Citroen Picasso was seen by officers on patrol coming out of White Street onto The Promenade.

"The car was being driven very cautiously and they stopped it. When they spoke to the defendant he smelt strongly of intoxicants and there were also signs, like his yes, that showed he was intoxicated. He was asked to do a breath test and started eating things in his car. He ate some lozenges and he was told to stop. He then tried to eat a Terry's Chocolate Orange but they stopped him."

Mr Kelly explained to the court how you weren't allowed to eat or drink 20 minutes before a breath test as it could affect the outcome.

He added: "When they carried out the test at the station the reading was 97 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 mililitres of breath. So, he was two-and-a-half times the legal drink drive limit."

Selby, who gave a care of address of James Watt Terrace, Barrow Island, admitted drink driving and failing to turn up for court. (17)

Defence solicitor Miss Karen Templeton represented the 46-year-old.

She said: "He was before the court on Tuesday (17) and pleaded guilty. He was due to return to be sentenced. He has now got a new job as a contractor, he is an electrician by trade, and his first day was last Thursday. (19) He wrongly prioritised work over his court appearance. He did come to court late that afternoon but it was too late. he came back again on the Friday, again too late, and was advised to surrender to police as a warrant had been issued. 

"He lives on Barrow Island and had been to a birthday celebration on Walney. He had stayed the night on the sofa and woke up just before 6am and thought as he had slept and it was a new day he would be fine to drive. Clearly he wasn't."

Magistrates ordered him to carry out 70 hours of unpaid work in the community and he was disqualified from driving for 24 months.

He was ordered to pay £85 court costs and an £85 victim surcharge.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Read this..