Barrow youth stole from home to buy drugs
Last updated at 11:49, Thursday, 09 January 2014
A YOUTH with a drug addiction stole items to pay off debts to dealers who would otherwise “snap his legs”, a court was told.
The 15-year-old boy from Barrow, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, stole aftershave from Debenhams, whisky from Morrisons and a television from his home to pay off his debts.
He appeared at Furness Youth Court yesterday, and admitted the three thefts as well as causing criminal damage by smashing a mirror and door at his house.
The court heard how the boy was struggling to cope with an addiction to drugs and had resorted to crime to fund it.
Mr Michael Graham, representing the youth, said: “He had to pay as he says he would have got his legs snapped.”
He said the boy was committing the crimes to pay for cocaine and cannabis.
District judge Gerald Chalk warned the youth about his addiction and described the theft from his own home as “disgusting”.
A youth rehabilitation order was imposed by the court for 12 months, which will see him become the subject of supervision by the Youth Offending Service.
He was also given an eight-week curfew, to be at home from 8pm to 7am for the first four weeks, and then 10am to 7am for the final four weeks.
First published at 11:05, Thursday, 09 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid