Barrow youth stole from home to buy drugs
Last updated at 11:49, Thursday, 09 January 2014
A YOUTH with a drug addiction stole items to pay off debts to dealers who would otherwise “snap his legs”, a court was told.
The 15-year-old boy from Barrow, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, stole aftershave from Debenhams, whisky from Morrisons and a television from his home to pay off his debts.
He appeared at Furness Youth Court yesterday, and admitted the three thefts as well as causing criminal damage by smashing a mirror and door at his house.
The court heard how the boy was struggling to cope with an addiction to drugs and had resorted to crime to fund it.
Mr Michael Graham, representing the youth, said: “He had to pay as he says he would have got his legs snapped.”
He said the boy was committing the crimes to pay for cocaine and cannabis.
District judge Gerald Chalk warned the youth about his addiction and described the theft from his own home as “disgusting”.
A youth rehabilitation order was imposed by the court for 12 months, which will see him become the subject of supervision by the Youth Offending Service.
He was also given an eight-week curfew, to be at home from 8pm to 7am for the first four weeks, and then 10am to 7am for the final four weeks.
First published at 11:05, Thursday, 09 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Make your comment
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds