Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 02 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow woman's inquest - ‘Delay in diagnosis’ of fatal infection

QUESTIONS have been raised over the care of a bereaved and anorexic Barrow mum after her death from an infection following surgery.

Thomas Opie died after an epileptic attack. His mum, Lisa Opie, died six months later from an infection following surgery

Lisa Opie, aged 43, of Westway, Barrow, died at Furness General Hospital on January 6, 10 days after the operation to remove a benign cyst from her ovary, carried out at Royal Preston Hospital.

Mrs Opie, who had battled anorexia for a number of years, and her husband Kevin Opie had lost their son Thomas, 18, to an epileptic fit six months earlier.

An inquest at Barrow Town Hall yesterday heard Mrs Opie had gone “downhill” after his death and the court heard she was “severely unwell” when she arrived at FGH on December 31, after being transferred from Preston.

Assistant coroner for south and east Cumbria, Alan Sharp, said an investigation by the hospital trust which runs FGH had found “problems with the delivery of care” and “a delay in the diagnosis” of the infection which killed her.

Mr Opie said his wife had been distressed in RPH following the operation.

He said: “When she was in the hospital bed the wound was weeping, it would not stop weeping.

“She started getting agitated; she started thinking the nurses saw her as a nuisance because she wanted her bandages changed all the time. She didn’t want to stay there, she wanted to go back to Barrow.”

Doctors agreed to allow Mrs Opie to be transferred by ambulance to FGH, but when she arrived Mr Opie said his wife was confused and “didn’t recognise” him”.

Dr Mohamed Said, consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology at FGH, told the inquest there were “obvious” signs of infection when Mrs Opie arrived at FGH and she was placed in intensive care.

The inquest heard she did not respond to antibiotics and her condition deteriorated.

Pathologist Dr Vesa Karja stated the cause of Mrs Opie’s death was sepsis which led to liver and kidney failure.

He accepted that Mrs Opie’s anorexia was a contributory factor in her death.

Dr Amr Dawood, consultant anaesthetist at FGH’s ICU, said in severely malnourished patients, proteins and other nutrients which enable the body to heal itself can be lacking.

Mr Sharp adjourned the inquest to allow further evidence to be taken. A new date has yet to be decided.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out