Barrow traders praised following council sting
Last updated at 16:39, Thursday, 14 February 2013
RETAILERS have been praised after they refused to serve under aged drinkers and smokers in a council sting.
Cumbria County Council’s Trading Standards team carried out the operations in Barrow and Carlisle.
However, a number of retailers did still break the rules in selling alcohol to a “proxy purchaser” where it is clear that the adult is buying to supply to a child.
Angela Jones, Cumbria Trading Standards manager, said: “I am very pleased that all the retailers tested refused direct sales of either alcohol or tobacco.
“I am however disappointed that some retailers are not aware of the requirements preventing the proxy sale of alcohol.
“Current research indicates that proxy supply of alcohol to children by adults still substantially contributes to the access young persons have to alcohol.
“We are currently providing advice and education to businesses that flout the proxy rules but may consider more formal action in the future.”
Anyone with any information regarding the possible supply of alcohol or tobacco to underage people can let Trading Standards know by contacting Consumer Direct on 0845 4040 506.
First published at 10:29, Thursday, 14 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|