Barrow traders flag up their support as kick-off for World Cup nears
Last updated at 14:40, Wednesday, 11 June 2014
FOOTBALL fever has well and truly hit the streets of Barrow as residents, businesses and pubs get behind England’s World Cup bid.
Fans are flying flags outside their homes and grabbing all kinds of St George themed merchandise as they prepare to cheer on Roy Hodgson’s boys in Brazil.
The tournament doesn’t officially get underway until tomorrow but already an army of shops in Barrow have set up window displays to wish the team good luck on their South American adventure.
One of the most dazzling shop displays in support of England comes from Posh Flowers in Rawlinson Street.
Owner Alyson Millar, 42, has been busy setting up a display featuring flags of all 32 countries competing in the competition, football memorabilia and even flowers in England mugs.
Ms Millar said: “I think it’s a major event. Everybody gets behind England so we thought we’d do the same.
“The display is quite eye-catching and everybody keeps popping in and saying how lovely it is.
“The shop is three years old in October so this is our first World Cup.
“We always try and do things to mark special occasions like this. It would be lovely if England won. We have been waiting a long time! Barrow is good at going for the underdogs.”
Ms Millar and her father, Ian, say they will be cheering England on all the way in their first match against four-time champions, Italy, on Saturday.
And it’s not just shops backing the team.
Unsurprisingly, pubs across the area are getting into the World Cup spirit, with many offering special deals in June and July. The Steelworks Hotel in Buccleuch Street, Barrow, has decorated its exterior with England flags so punters can enjoy, and endure, England’s matches in style.
First published at 14:38, Wednesday, 11 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together