Barrow thief stole toiletries before jail sentence
Last updated at 14:32, Friday, 08 August 2014
A BARROW criminal has admitted stealing toiletries in preparation for a prison stay.
Adam Royle, whose address was given as HMP Preston, pleaded guilty to shoplifting in Furness Magistrates’ Court.
The 38-year-old was sentenced to 12 months in prison for burglary in February this year – and Royle yesterday admitted stealing a can of Sure deodorant and a Colgate toothbrush from the Co-op in Island Road, Barrow, on February 13 – the day before he was jailed.
Ms Maureen Fawcett, defending, said: “He’s pleaded guilty to shoplifting the deodorant and toothbrush which he took to prison the following morning.”
The court was told he had paid for other goods but decided to steal the items.
He also admitted fraud after registering for a BT phoneline using his brother’s details.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, told the court he had incurred £962.82 in costs and his brother found out after solicitors contacted him demanding payment for the phoneline.
Ms Fawcett said he had committed the offence as he was unable to get credit himself. After his circumstances changed he incurred the debt and was unable to make payments.
Royle was sentenced to four weeks in jail to run concurrently with his existing sentence. He is due to be released from prison in February. He also gave no indication of plea to two counts of possession with intent to supply cannabis on October 27 and February 13 along with a charge of producing 137.55g of cannabis on February 13.
He was accused alongside his wife, Wendy Ann Royle, of Undergreens Road, Barrow, who faces two identical charges of possession with intent to supply cannabis.
David Woof, 41, of Lincoln Street, Barrow, faces a single charge of possession with intent to supply cannabis.
The drugs are said to be worth more than £4,000 in total.
The trio will appear in Preston Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on August 22.
First published at 14:31, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together