Barrow staff chuffed to win top railway station honours
Last updated at 09:47, Monday, 10 December 2012
THE manager of Barrow’s revamped railway station has spoken of his pride after it won a prestigious international award and claimed two other top honours.
The three-platform station, which has recently undergone a £382,500 refurbishment, won Best Medium Station at the International Station of the Year Awards last month.
The awards recognise railway stations across Europe for their appearance, customer facilities, transport links and commitment to providing great customer service.
The station, which has 12 members of staff and an annual footfall of around 600,000, was also Highly Commended in the National Rail Awards Station of the Year category 2012 in September.
In addition, it was named joint winner of the First TransPennine Express Customer Service Excellence Awards Station of the Year 2012.
Station Manager Mick Elliot said: “Barrow station has been transformed and now boasts some internationally recognised features.
“The booking hall has been completed refurbished, passenger lifts have been installed and the customer facilities have been upgraded and they are now second to none. I’m also thrilled for and very proud of my team at the station.
“They’re completely focused on the customer and come to work with a smile on their face and a can-do attitude.
“I want to thank them for their hard work and support.
“This award reflects their commitment to great customer service.’’
First published at 17:13, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Great station ,shame about the trains . Can't get a seat at Ulverston most days.
Make your comment
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Cash machine blown up in Cumbria raid
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood (2 comments)
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (10 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (5 comments)
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton