Barrow staff chuffed to win top railway station honours
Last updated at 09:47, Monday, 10 December 2012
THE manager of Barrow’s revamped railway station has spoken of his pride after it won a prestigious international award and claimed two other top honours.
The three-platform station, which has recently undergone a £382,500 refurbishment, won Best Medium Station at the International Station of the Year Awards last month.
The awards recognise railway stations across Europe for their appearance, customer facilities, transport links and commitment to providing great customer service.
The station, which has 12 members of staff and an annual footfall of around 600,000, was also Highly Commended in the National Rail Awards Station of the Year category 2012 in September.
In addition, it was named joint winner of the First TransPennine Express Customer Service Excellence Awards Station of the Year 2012.
Station Manager Mick Elliot said: “Barrow station has been transformed and now boasts some internationally recognised features.
“The booking hall has been completed refurbished, passenger lifts have been installed and the customer facilities have been upgraded and they are now second to none. I’m also thrilled for and very proud of my team at the station.
“They’re completely focused on the customer and come to work with a smile on their face and a can-do attitude.
“I want to thank them for their hard work and support.
“This award reflects their commitment to great customer service.’’
First published at 17:13, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Great station ,shame about the trains . Can't get a seat at Ulverston most days.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton