Barrow staff chuffed to win top railway station honours
Last updated at 09:47, Monday, 10 December 2012
THE manager of Barrow’s revamped railway station has spoken of his pride after it won a prestigious international award and claimed two other top honours.
The three-platform station, which has recently undergone a £382,500 refurbishment, won Best Medium Station at the International Station of the Year Awards last month.
The awards recognise railway stations across Europe for their appearance, customer facilities, transport links and commitment to providing great customer service.
The station, which has 12 members of staff and an annual footfall of around 600,000, was also Highly Commended in the National Rail Awards Station of the Year category 2012 in September.
In addition, it was named joint winner of the First TransPennine Express Customer Service Excellence Awards Station of the Year 2012.
Station Manager Mick Elliot said: “Barrow station has been transformed and now boasts some internationally recognised features.
“The booking hall has been completed refurbished, passenger lifts have been installed and the customer facilities have been upgraded and they are now second to none. I’m also thrilled for and very proud of my team at the station.
“They’re completely focused on the customer and come to work with a smile on their face and a can-do attitude.
“I want to thank them for their hard work and support.
“This award reflects their commitment to great customer service.’’
First published at 17:13, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Great station ,shame about the trains . Can't get a seat at Ulverston most days.
Make your comment
- Update 7.30am: Three males in Cumbria Police custody after BMW car flipped on to its roof
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock (2 comments)
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow firm hosts successful recruitment fair (5 comments)
- Barrow AFC to go full-time
- Haney set for Barrow Raiders return
- Askam fall to Blackbrook defeat: with picture gallery
- Millom keep up winning run
- Askam football ace ready to take on the world with England (1 comment)
- Paddlers steam ahead on choppy Coniston Water
- Barrow Raiders have fingers crossed for Ward
- Post Office close to delivering Ulverston League shock
- Taylor keen to stay at Barrow AFC (2 comments)
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers