Barrow shoplifter assaulted off-licence worker
Last updated at 11:53, Thursday, 09 January 2014
A SHOPLIFTER assaulted a member of staff at a Barrow off-licence over a stolen beer, a court heard.
Marc David Westwood, 31, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
He pleaded guilty to stealing a can of Lynx lager from Batty’s Off-Licence in Rawlinson Street, on October 31, last year.
He also pleaded guilty to assaulting Cheryl Douglas, who was working at the off-licence at the time. She had asked him to leave the shop, but he knocked over sweets and other items from the counter then pushed Miss Douglas.
Westwood, of Corporation Terrace, Barrow, was given a 12-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay compensation of £301.69.
First published at 11:49, Thursday, 09 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
12 months suspended for being a violent shoplifter. Ridiculous, 6 months would be more appropriate.
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (6 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (2 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (3 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Net gain for Furness tennis players: with picture gallery
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid