Barrow shoplifter assaulted off-licence worker
Last updated at 11:53, Thursday, 09 January 2014
A SHOPLIFTER assaulted a member of staff at a Barrow off-licence over a stolen beer, a court heard.
Marc David Westwood, 31, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
He pleaded guilty to stealing a can of Lynx lager from Batty’s Off-Licence in Rawlinson Street, on October 31, last year.
He also pleaded guilty to assaulting Cheryl Douglas, who was working at the off-licence at the time. She had asked him to leave the shop, but he knocked over sweets and other items from the counter then pushed Miss Douglas.
Westwood, of Corporation Terrace, Barrow, was given a 12-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay compensation of £301.69.
First published at 11:49, Thursday, 09 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
12 months suspended for being a violent shoplifter. Ridiculous, 6 months would be more appropriate.
Make your comment
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood (1 comment)
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (3 comments)
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Landmark Barrow hotel to make way for garage forecourt (2 comments)
- Arson appeal after Barrow shop fire
- Barrow vandals target mobility scooter (1 comment)
- Livesey missing for Barrow AFC final-day crunch clash
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Toal looks forward to Barrow Raiders bow
- Consistency call from Barrow Raiders boss
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Barrow Raiders need to be ruthless
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton