Barrow shoplifter assaulted off-licence worker
Last updated at 11:53, Thursday, 09 January 2014
A SHOPLIFTER assaulted a member of staff at a Barrow off-licence over a stolen beer, a court heard.
Marc David Westwood, 31, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
He pleaded guilty to stealing a can of Lynx lager from Batty’s Off-Licence in Rawlinson Street, on October 31, last year.
He also pleaded guilty to assaulting Cheryl Douglas, who was working at the off-licence at the time. She had asked him to leave the shop, but he knocked over sweets and other items from the counter then pushed Miss Douglas.
Westwood, of Corporation Terrace, Barrow, was given a 12-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay compensation of £301.69.
First published at 11:49, Thursday, 09 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
12 months suspended for being a violent shoplifter. Ridiculous, 6 months would be more appropriate.
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Van driver sustains minor head injury after A590 crash
- Cumbria great-grandfather wins £727k share of Lotto jackpot
- Sandwich and coffee chains serve up jobs boost for town
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Firm hopes £5m Barrow Island flats revamp will attract new tenants
- Police investigate report of assault against boy at Barrow AFC ground
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (2 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)