Barrow sci-fi devotee was just an out-of-this-world dad
Last updated at 16:18, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
A MAN who was well known in Barrow for his hobby of dressing as a popular science fiction character has been described as a “brilliant father” by his widow.
Steven Clifford died suddenly on January 23 after falling ill only days after his 43rd birthday.
Mr Clifford, formerly of Craven Park Court in Barrow but originally from Wakefield in West Yorkshire, was well known for dressing up as the film character Predator from the Predator and Alien vs Predator films.
Hayley Clifford said her late husband devoted a great deal of time and effort to his elaborate costume and wanted it to be just right, even using it to help raise money for charity.
She said: “He was a really great man, very caring.
“He always did his best to help out people even though he didn’t always believe in himself.
“He really enjoyed dressing as Predator. He always loved the films and it took him about 12 months to make the suit.
“He did a couple of charity events wearing the suit and did a comic book convention last November in Birmingham.”
Mrs Clifford said her husband had enjoyed an evening out for his birthday on the weekend of January 19 and was acting normally until he fell ill the following Tuesday and died on January 23.
She said Mr Clifford had enjoyed his birthday and that his death had been very upsetting for his family.
Mr Clifford’s funeral was held at the Thorncliffe Crematorium on Thursday and collections were taken for Diabetes UK.
He is survived by his four-year-old daughter Layla and Mrs Clifford said he was a very loving father.
She said: “He was a brilliant father and would do anything for Layla.”
First published at 15:59, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (32 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- ‘Deadly’ pigeon droppings force Millom council closure (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’ (2 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|