Barrow sci-fi devotee was just an out-of-this-world dad
Last updated at 16:18, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
A MAN who was well known in Barrow for his hobby of dressing as a popular science fiction character has been described as a “brilliant father” by his widow.
Steven Clifford died suddenly on January 23 after falling ill only days after his 43rd birthday.
Mr Clifford, formerly of Craven Park Court in Barrow but originally from Wakefield in West Yorkshire, was well known for dressing up as the film character Predator from the Predator and Alien vs Predator films.
Hayley Clifford said her late husband devoted a great deal of time and effort to his elaborate costume and wanted it to be just right, even using it to help raise money for charity.
She said: “He was a really great man, very caring.
“He always did his best to help out people even though he didn’t always believe in himself.
“He really enjoyed dressing as Predator. He always loved the films and it took him about 12 months to make the suit.
“He did a couple of charity events wearing the suit and did a comic book convention last November in Birmingham.”
Mrs Clifford said her husband had enjoyed an evening out for his birthday on the weekend of January 19 and was acting normally until he fell ill the following Tuesday and died on January 23.
She said Mr Clifford had enjoyed his birthday and that his death had been very upsetting for his family.
Mr Clifford’s funeral was held at the Thorncliffe Crematorium on Thursday and collections were taken for Diabetes UK.
He is survived by his four-year-old daughter Layla and Mrs Clifford said he was a very loving father.
She said: “He was a brilliant father and would do anything for Layla.”
First published at 15:59, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|