Barrow rock guitarist died after drugs overdose
Last updated at 15:57, Tuesday, 03 July 2012
A YOUNG dad and rock guitarist was found dead in his bed after taking a heroin substitute he had not been prescribed, an inquest heard.
Benjamin Hardie found his brother David Wood, 27, in his first-floor bedsit in Barrow on November 25 last year.
At the inquest into the death of Mr Wood, South and East Cumbria coroner Mr Ian Smith yesterday (Mon) recorded a verdict of death as a result of drug abuse.
The hearing in Barrow Town Hall was told the pathologist concluded methadone and benzodiazepines toxicity was the cause of death.
Mr Wood, who had the nickname Minny, was father to eight-year-old Corey and guitarist in Furness rock band Zenolith.
Mr Hardie, of Ferry Road, Barrow, told the inquest he last saw his brother on the morning of November 23.
He went back to Mr Wood’s flat in Salthouse Road two days later, but there was no answer.
Mr Hardie said: “I had to break the door down to get into his house to find him. He was lying in his bed, just as if he’d been watching telly, with the remote in his hand and a packet of crisps.”
Detective Constable Ben Falvey, of Barrow CID, attended the flat after police were alerted around 1.30pm on November 25.
He told the inquest the death was never treated as suspicious.
Items recovered from the flat included two empty methadone bottles – with no labels and not prescribed to Mr Wood – and two empty Tramadol boxes.
Mr Smith said the pathologist’s report also mentioned evidence of damage to one of Mr Wood’s kidneys, but that condition was not linked to his death.
Mr Wood’s grandmother, Anna Naylor, told the Evening Mail: “He was on drugs, but he was never violent. He was well-liked and it was a massive turnout for his funeral.
“All the young ones came and they were all in suits which was nice because that’s what he would’ve liked.
“He really did suffer with his kidney terribly, but he was frightened of needles and when he went to hospital he signed himself out because he was so nervous. He was on the Tramadol for his kidney.”
Mum Donna Evans and stepdad Brian Evans told the Evening Mail Mr Wood “loved his son Corey to bits”.
Mrs Evans, of Park Lane, Barrow, said: “He was very well liked – the funeral at the crematorium was packed.
“We thought maybe his kidney problem was the cause of death. At least now the inquest is out of the way and we know.”
First published at 13:21, Tuesday, 03 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Mr.Wood's family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.Methadone deaths continue to skyrocket all across the United States and around the world.Methadone is a dangerous deadly drug when it has been taken with other prescription drugs or even over the counter drugs. Please visit www.stopmethadonedeaths.com sign the petition as we help educate the truth behind Methadone.
So sad,another death caused by methadone that was not prescribed..WHY??