Barrow robber faces jail sentence
Last updated at 16:46, Thursday, 14 March 2013
A MAN has admitted carrying out a street robbery on a 12-year-old boy.
Liam Woodburn’s victim was robbed of £2 cash on New Year’s Day in Barrow.
The crime took place while 21-year-old Woodburn was on a suspended jail term for a common assault.
The defendant pleaded guilty to the robbery when he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday.
The case was adjourned at the request of the defence for a psychological report to be prepared on Woodburn.
Mr Richard Bennett, defending, told the court Woodburn had suffered a fractured skull in an unprovoked attack in 2011.
He had been knocked unconscious and then jumped or stamped upon the head.
“We have significant evidence of a personality change as a result of the attack”, said Mr Bennett.
Mr Bennett handed into the court a letter from the defendant’s doctor, plus another from the First Step support service.
A letter from the defendant’s mother was also given to Judge Graham Knowles QC.
Judge Knowles had sentenced Woodburn, of Langdale Grove, Barrow, to 14 weeks in custody, suspended for a year when he was sentenced at the court for a common assault last May.
Woodburn has now been granted bail and will be sentenced on May 13 for the robbery and a separate racially aggravated public order offence.
Judge Knowles told him he was likely to go to prison, regardless of the contents of the psychological report.
The judge added: “It is likely that if it makes any difference, it will only make a difference as to the length of the sentence. I told you last time that if you breached the order, prison was almost certain. You have breached it by a very serious offence.
“I want to make sure I have all the information about you so I can weigh up things before sentencing.
“Brace yourself for that day and behave yourself in the meantime.”
First published at 16:34, Thursday, 14 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
One word ,SCUMBAG:.