Barrow rescue boats called out after reports of an upturned boat out at sea
Last updated at 18:24, Sunday, 22 June 2014
BARROW rescue boats were called out earlier after reports of an upturned boat floating in the Irish sea.
The RNLI received a call from Liverpool Coastguard to say that a man near to South Walney Caravan Park had seen a vessel floating about one mile west of Walney Island.
Both lifeboat crews were launched and arrived at the scene at 1.10pm.
Once there they found a 25 foot cabin cruiser and its crew and it was confirmed that this was the vessel which was thought to be in difficulty.
After speaking to the occupants the lifeboat reported that all was well as they were divers and the craft was at anchor.
The lifeboats were stood down and returned to station where both lifeboats were made ready for the next call out by 2pm.
Deputy second Coxswain Dave Kell said: “The men were divers and the witness must have thought that they were in trouble when in fact they were not. It was a false alarm with good intent, but we are grateful to him that he did call the Coastguard and report it. We would encourage everyone to report incidents such as these, it is much better to be safe than sorry.”
First published at 18:19, Sunday, 22 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|