Barrow Raiders player charged after alleged Ulverston assault
Last updated at 16:32, Tuesday, 22 January 2013
A BARROW Raiders player has been charged with grievous bodily harm following an alleged assault in an Ulverston pub.
Daniel Jonathan Toal will appear before Furness Magistrates’ Court on January 31, charged with wounding/inflicting GBH without intent, following the alleged incident in The Mill, Ulverston.
Police said a 22-year-old Barrow man received a fractured cheek bone in the pub on November 17 last year.
Toal, 23, of Watery Lane, Ulverston, made 25 appearances for the Raiders last season – his first since making the step up from the amateur to professional game.
He scored 16 tries in his debut season for the club, where he was a regular starter at loose forward.
Toal proved a rising star on the local amateur scene, with a number of impressive displays for his hometown club, Ulverston ARLFC, in the North West Counties League.
As well as playing for the Barrow and District side, he went on to represent the Cumbria county team in the British Amateur Rugby League Association County Tri-Series.
Toal agreed an amateur deal with Raiders ahead of the 2012 season, before signing professional terms.
He featured in the Raiders' Championship One Grand Final defeat in September, and was named as one of four Raiders players in the Championship One All-Stars team of the season.
The club said they were unaware of any incident or charge involving Toal when contacted by the Evening Mail yesterday and so had no comment to make at this stage.
First published at 16:15, Tuesday, 22 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|