Barrow police recover a ‘tennis ball sized’ £3k drug haul in broad daylight
Last updated at 16:16, Thursday, 27 February 2014
TWO people have been arrested after police discovered a £3,000 drug haul in Barrow in “broad daylight”.
A “tennis ball” sized amount of a substance, believed to be heroin, was recovered in the Devonshire Road area of Barrow after a member of the public reported two men behaving suspiciously.
The discovery was not part of ongoing drug operations and detectives have praised the eagle-eyed member of the public who reported the men acting suspiciously in Devonshire Road, near the cemetery.
Drug squad officers swooped on the scene on February 19 in the early afternoon and found two men and what they believe to be a “substantial” amount of heroin with an estimated street value of around £3,000.
Detective Sergeant Mark Summers, of the South Cumbria drug squad led the operation.
He said: “This is a substantial amount of drugs.
“We are committed to combating drug dealing and linked offences in Barrow and the South Lakes.
“Members of the public were instrumental in locating and identifying the suspicious activity and alerting us to the area.
“We would always urge members of the public to contact us, this incident was in broad daylight.”
The substance is now in the hands of police pathologists who are carrying out tests to confirm if it is heroin, as detectives believe.
Police said two men aged 28 and 43, both from Barrow, have been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug.
The two men have been released on police bail until April when the forensic examination of the substance is due to be completed.
First published at 14:23, Thursday, 27 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
why don't these people get named and shamed??
Make your comment
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (20 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (2 comments)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker