Barrow police recover a ‘tennis ball sized’ £3k drug haul in broad daylight
Last updated at 16:16, Thursday, 27 February 2014
TWO people have been arrested after police discovered a £3,000 drug haul in Barrow in “broad daylight”.
A “tennis ball” sized amount of a substance, believed to be heroin, was recovered in the Devonshire Road area of Barrow after a member of the public reported two men behaving suspiciously.
The discovery was not part of ongoing drug operations and detectives have praised the eagle-eyed member of the public who reported the men acting suspiciously in Devonshire Road, near the cemetery.
Drug squad officers swooped on the scene on February 19 in the early afternoon and found two men and what they believe to be a “substantial” amount of heroin with an estimated street value of around £3,000.
Detective Sergeant Mark Summers, of the South Cumbria drug squad led the operation.
He said: “This is a substantial amount of drugs.
“We are committed to combating drug dealing and linked offences in Barrow and the South Lakes.
“Members of the public were instrumental in locating and identifying the suspicious activity and alerting us to the area.
“We would always urge members of the public to contact us, this incident was in broad daylight.”
The substance is now in the hands of police pathologists who are carrying out tests to confirm if it is heroin, as detectives believe.
Police said two men aged 28 and 43, both from Barrow, have been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug.
The two men have been released on police bail until April when the forensic examination of the substance is due to be completed.
First published at 14:23, Thursday, 27 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
why don't these people get named and shamed??
Make your comment
- Police appeal for information after £3000 Barrow watch theft
- Nude bathing “plans” and edible cars among Cumbria April fools
- Crew deals with fishy fire in Barrow
- Big Clean team hit Askam beach for tidy-up
- Ulverston mural attack is no laughing matter for Stan Laurel fans
- Van driver sustains minor head injury after A590 Cumbria crash
- Health and transport plans could win seat
- Cumbria great-grandfather wins £727k share of Lotto jackpot (1 comment)
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Penny takes Palma path in 100 marathons mission
- McHale ready to roar on his TT debut
- Evening Mail's Emma learns the lessons of triathlon bid
- Anglers over rainbow with restocking
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood