Barrow police recover a ‘tennis ball sized’ £3k drug haul in broad daylight
Last updated at 16:16, Thursday, 27 February 2014
TWO people have been arrested after police discovered a £3,000 drug haul in Barrow in “broad daylight”.
A “tennis ball” sized amount of a substance, believed to be heroin, was recovered in the Devonshire Road area of Barrow after a member of the public reported two men behaving suspiciously.
The discovery was not part of ongoing drug operations and detectives have praised the eagle-eyed member of the public who reported the men acting suspiciously in Devonshire Road, near the cemetery.
Drug squad officers swooped on the scene on February 19 in the early afternoon and found two men and what they believe to be a “substantial” amount of heroin with an estimated street value of around £3,000.
Detective Sergeant Mark Summers, of the South Cumbria drug squad led the operation.
He said: “This is a substantial amount of drugs.
“We are committed to combating drug dealing and linked offences in Barrow and the South Lakes.
“Members of the public were instrumental in locating and identifying the suspicious activity and alerting us to the area.
“We would always urge members of the public to contact us, this incident was in broad daylight.”
The substance is now in the hands of police pathologists who are carrying out tests to confirm if it is heroin, as detectives believe.
Police said two men aged 28 and 43, both from Barrow, have been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug.
The two men have been released on police bail until April when the forensic examination of the substance is due to be completed.
First published at 14:23, Thursday, 27 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
why don't these people get named and shamed??
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid