Barrow police recover a ‘tennis ball sized’ £3k drug haul in broad daylight
Last updated at 16:16, Thursday, 27 February 2014
TWO people have been arrested after police discovered a £3,000 drug haul in Barrow in “broad daylight”.
A “tennis ball” sized amount of a substance, believed to be heroin, was recovered in the Devonshire Road area of Barrow after a member of the public reported two men behaving suspiciously.
The discovery was not part of ongoing drug operations and detectives have praised the eagle-eyed member of the public who reported the men acting suspiciously in Devonshire Road, near the cemetery.
Drug squad officers swooped on the scene on February 19 in the early afternoon and found two men and what they believe to be a “substantial” amount of heroin with an estimated street value of around £3,000.
Detective Sergeant Mark Summers, of the South Cumbria drug squad led the operation.
He said: “This is a substantial amount of drugs.
“We are committed to combating drug dealing and linked offences in Barrow and the South Lakes.
“Members of the public were instrumental in locating and identifying the suspicious activity and alerting us to the area.
“We would always urge members of the public to contact us, this incident was in broad daylight.”
The substance is now in the hands of police pathologists who are carrying out tests to confirm if it is heroin, as detectives believe.
Police said two men aged 28 and 43, both from Barrow, have been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug.
The two men have been released on police bail until April when the forensic examination of the substance is due to be completed.
First published at 14:23, Thursday, 27 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
why don't these people get named and shamed??
Make your comment
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together