Barrow police officer pleads not guilty to rape charge
Last updated at 17:13, Friday, 08 August 2014
A POLICE officer from Barrow is set to stand trial next year after pleading not guilty to a series of sex offences.
Nicholas Doherty from Walney, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, appeared at Coventry Crown Court in the West Midlands today to enter pleas to five charges listed on the indictment and relating to two separate women.
The 41-year-old was charged by Warwickshire Police in March.
Wearing a light grey two-piece suit and striped tie, Doherty, appearing on conditional bail, was told he would stand trial back at the city's court on March 9, next year.
He denies rape, attempted rape and two offences of sexual assault said to have taken place against in Stratford-upon-Avon in February 2012.
Doherty also denied a separate offence of indecent assault against another complainant alleged to have taken place in December 1999.
The Recorder of Coventry Judge Griffith Jones told the defendant the last matter would be tried separately, following the end of the March 2015 court proceedings.
"Your trial will take place in March next year, and between now and then I bail you on the same terms as you were on before today," he said.
First published at 08:56, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|