Barrow police officer pleads not guilty to rape charge
Last updated at 17:13, Friday, 08 August 2014
A POLICE officer from Barrow is set to stand trial next year after pleading not guilty to a series of sex offences.
Nicholas Doherty from Walney, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, appeared at Coventry Crown Court in the West Midlands today to enter pleas to five charges listed on the indictment and relating to two separate women.
The 41-year-old was charged by Warwickshire Police in March.
Wearing a light grey two-piece suit and striped tie, Doherty, appearing on conditional bail, was told he would stand trial back at the city's court on March 9, next year.
He denies rape, attempted rape and two offences of sexual assault said to have taken place against in Stratford-upon-Avon in February 2012.
Doherty also denied a separate offence of indecent assault against another complainant alleged to have taken place in December 1999.
The Recorder of Coventry Judge Griffith Jones told the defendant the last matter would be tried separately, following the end of the March 2015 court proceedings.
"Your trial will take place in March next year, and between now and then I bail you on the same terms as you were on before today," he said.
First published at 08:56, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|