Barrow police officer pleads not guilty to rape charge
Last updated at 17:13, Friday, 08 August 2014
A POLICE officer from Barrow is set to stand trial next year after pleading not guilty to a series of sex offences.
Nicholas Doherty from Walney, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, appeared at Coventry Crown Court in the West Midlands today to enter pleas to five charges listed on the indictment and relating to two separate women.
The 41-year-old was charged by Warwickshire Police in March.
Wearing a light grey two-piece suit and striped tie, Doherty, appearing on conditional bail, was told he would stand trial back at the city's court on March 9, next year.
He denies rape, attempted rape and two offences of sexual assault said to have taken place against in Stratford-upon-Avon in February 2012.
Doherty also denied a separate offence of indecent assault against another complainant alleged to have taken place in December 1999.
The Recorder of Coventry Judge Griffith Jones told the defendant the last matter would be tried separately, following the end of the March 2015 court proceedings.
"Your trial will take place in March next year, and between now and then I bail you on the same terms as you were on before today," he said.
First published at 08:56, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- Barrow AFC defender to sign new two-year deal
- Barrow AFC keeper battle to heat up
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (43 comments)
- Tributes to ‘one of Maryport’s loveliest men’ (4 comments)
- Maryport woman in court on Workington care home neglect charges
- Teachers show heart for campaign as Workington school nears closure
- Bidders needed to help serve up cafe on Maryport estate (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|