Barrow pensioner admits sex offences
Published at 16:19, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
A MAN has admitted committing three sex offences which date back almost 50 years.
The offences cover a period between dates in 1964 and 1966 and the victim was nine or 10.
George Hughes, 71, of Blake Street, Barrow, was in a wheelchair as he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday. He pleaded guilty to three charges of indecent assault on a male, all of which were carried out upon the same boy.
His case was adjourned for a sentencing hearing to take place at Barrow Crown Court next month. The defendant’s lawyer said his client had health difficulties and no previous convictions.
He was remanded on bail while a pre-sentence report is compiled on him by the probation service.
He is due to be sentenced on March 12 in Barrow. Judge Robert Altham said: “Not withstanding his age and apparent infirmity, all options will remain open to the court, including a sentence of immediate custody.”
Hughes was told he would have to sign on to the sex offenders register.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|