Barrow pensioner admits sex offences
Published at 16:19, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
A MAN has admitted committing three sex offences which date back almost 50 years.
The offences cover a period between dates in 1964 and 1966 and the victim was nine or 10.
George Hughes, 71, of Blake Street, Barrow, was in a wheelchair as he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday. He pleaded guilty to three charges of indecent assault on a male, all of which were carried out upon the same boy.
His case was adjourned for a sentencing hearing to take place at Barrow Crown Court next month. The defendant’s lawyer said his client had health difficulties and no previous convictions.
He was remanded on bail while a pre-sentence report is compiled on him by the probation service.
He is due to be sentenced on March 12 in Barrow. Judge Robert Altham said: “Not withstanding his age and apparent infirmity, all options will remain open to the court, including a sentence of immediate custody.”
Hughes was told he would have to sign on to the sex offenders register.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- WITH VIDEO: Dalton garage staff surprised as cheeky monkey checks in to refuel (51 comments)
- ’It’s like living with a death sentence’
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Man found dead in River Eden in Carlisle named
- Dalton community centre more accessible after revamp
- Jacqui Smith out but did husband see?
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|