Barrow pensioner admits sex offences
Published at 16:19, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
A MAN has admitted committing three sex offences which date back almost 50 years.
The offences cover a period between dates in 1964 and 1966 and the victim was nine or 10.
George Hughes, 71, of Blake Street, Barrow, was in a wheelchair as he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday. He pleaded guilty to three charges of indecent assault on a male, all of which were carried out upon the same boy.
His case was adjourned for a sentencing hearing to take place at Barrow Crown Court next month. The defendant’s lawyer said his client had health difficulties and no previous convictions.
He was remanded on bail while a pre-sentence report is compiled on him by the probation service.
He is due to be sentenced on March 12 in Barrow. Judge Robert Altham said: “Not withstanding his age and apparent infirmity, all options will remain open to the court, including a sentence of immediate custody.”
Hughes was told he would have to sign on to the sex offenders register.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|