Barrow overdose death leads to coroner’s drug call
Last updated at 08:50, Monday, 17 February 2014
A BARROW man died after taking unprescribed drugs, an inquest has found.
Wayne Doran, 30, of Holker Street, was found lying face down on a bed in his underwear.
His body was discovered by Danielle Charnley on June 6 in a house in McAdam Street.
An inquest at Barrow Town Hall heard a high concentration of methadone was found in Mr Doran’s blood, and that he had overdosed on the drug.
A police search of the property discovered two empty brown bottles without labels.
Mr Ian Smith, coroner for South Cumbria, said Mr Doran died as a result of abusing drugs and stopped breathing in his sleep.
He said: “After taking these drugs, in effect the person goes to sleep and the breathing can just stop. I am convinced that [Mr Doran] took the methadone voluntarily. There was no force.
“I think he did it knowing what he was doing, but perhaps not aware of what the consequences might be.
“There were traces of other drugs in Wayne’s blood that would make the effect of methadone worse.”
DC Scott Elliott, of Barrow CID, said an investigation into how the drugs came into Mr Doran’s possession was ongoing, and that an arrest had been made.
He said: “The labels (of the bottles) were removed but, from our experience, we believed they contained methadone.”
A post mortem found a fatal level of methadone was in Mr Doran’s blood. Mr Smith issued a warning, saying health authorities which supply methadone to patients are often allowing people to take the drug home, rather than carrying out supervised consumption.
He said more people were getting hold of the drugs because of this, with some selling them to users.
Mr Smith said: “Methadone is used to help people get off other drugs like heroin, but it actually kills more people.
“I believe (health authorities) should tighten up and only allow the consumption of methadone on the premises.
“I have noticed an increase over the past two or three years of cases when consumption has not taken place as it should.
“I can’t make (the authorities) do anything but I hope the way methadone is prescribed is tightened up.”
First published at 16:58, Friday, 14 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|