Barrow mum’s shock after teenage son burgled her home
Last updated at 16:30, Sunday, 24 August 2014
A BARROW teenager who burgled his mum’s house was hungry and strapped for cash, a court heard.
Nathaniel Davies, 19, of Schooner Street, Barrow was ordered to perform 120 hours of unpaid work when he appeared for sentencing at Preston Crown Court on Friday.
Davies had previously pleaded guilty to entering his mum’s house in Devon Street on July 14 and taking cash, cigarettes and an electric guitar.
The court heard that Michelle Davies had found it hard to believe her son could do such a thing, as he knew how upset she had been by a burglary last year.
Mr Joe Allman, prosecuting, said Davies had visited his mum’s home just two days earlier and was given three large bags of food.
After the burglary, she arrived home to find wet footprints in the hall. A £20 note had been taken, as well as the cigarettes and the guitar, which the defendant sold for £15.
Describing the impact of the offence on the mother, Mr Allman said “She was deeply affected by a burglary the previous year, which had nothing to do with the defendant. She found it hard to believe, knowing that, that he would do this to her.”
Davies, who had no previous convictions, told police he had smoked the cigarettes and “wasted” the money on various things.
Ms Lucy Wright, defending, said he had come to court realising the magnitude of what he had done. She said: “This was not a pre-planned burglary, designed to target his mother. It occurred on an impulse which he now deeply regrets.”
“He had found himself hungry, without money and saw what he thought was an easy opportunity to get a bit of cash from his mother.
“He accepts his actions are a significant breach of trust.”
The judge, Recorder Christopher Melton QC, told Davies: “I can understand if she had previously been burgled, the last thing she would expect you to do would be to put her under further emotional stress and turmoil by taking stuff from the house.”
In addition to unpaid work, Davies was given a 12-month community order which will involve the Cumbrian Drug Awareness Intervention.
First published at 16:20, Sunday, 24 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together