Barrow MP hands over legal highs worth £200 to police
Last updated at 18:17, Sunday, 13 July 2014
BARROW and Furness MP John Woodcock handed legal highs worth £200 to police after receiving them from a concerned mum whose son had bought them online with her bank card.
Mr Woodcock was contacted by the concerned mum on Tuesday through Facebook and she later handed them to the Labour MP. He then arranged for police to collect the drugs from his home last night.
Mr Woodcock said: “It was a few days ago a mum contacted me on Facebook to say she had the legal highs which her son had bought online using her bank card.
“She contacted me because she didn’t know what to do with them and wanted to raise awarness to children and parents.
“I contacted the police and two officers came to my house last night to take the drugs away to be tested.”
Officers will now test the substances.
He added: “It’s alarming both as an MP and as a parent how easy they can be bought and how dangerous they could be.
“Some legal highs can be significantly more harmful than class A drugs.
“We need to do more to protect our young people. Sometimes we hear the word legal and we think it means safe, but that can be far from the truth.”
First published at 10:42, Saturday, 12 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|