Barrow man sent back to jail after theft from shop
Last updated at 13:52, Friday, 02 May 2014
A HABITUAL thief who stole a bracelet while underwear shopping in Barrow has been returned to jail.
Scott Archer was sentenced to two months in jail by a judge at Preston Crown Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to theft and possession of an offensive weapon.
The court heard how Archer visited Next, at the Hindpool Retail Park in Barrow on January 19, where he bought a pair of boxer shorts.
At the time he was wanted for recall to prison.
On his way out of the store he picked up a leather bracelet, despite having paid for the boxers.
He was later approached by police, who recognised him as being wanted for recall to prison.
While speaking to Archer, the officers thought he was drunk or under the influence of drugs – and then a claw hammer fell from his sleeve.
He had a shop carrier bag, with the boxer shorts and leather bracelet inside.
There was a receipt for the shorts, but not the bracelet, which was valued at £3.50.
He claimed to have found the hammer and had intended to hand it in to police.
Archer, 34, of Thames Road, Walney, has 78 previous offences on his record, mostly for dishonestly.
In March he was given a prison term for assaulting a police officer, theft and burglary.
Mr Tom Lord, defending, told the court Archer’s release date was at the end of July and said: “He is somewhat institutionalised, having spent most of his life behind bars, serving one sentence or another.
“His offending has involved wounding and robberies in the past, but has tapered off to low level offences.
“In this case, he had paid for the boxer shorts, but then saw the bracelet on the way out and took it”.
The judge, Recorder Michael Blakey, told him “You have an appalling record”.
First published at 13:51, Friday, 02 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood (1 comment)
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (3 comments)
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Landmark Barrow hotel to make way for garage forecourt (2 comments)
- Arson appeal after Barrow shop fire
- Barrow vandals target mobility scooter (1 comment)
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Toal looks forward to Barrow Raiders bow
- Consistency call from Barrow Raiders boss
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Barrow Raiders need to be ruthless
- Barrow Raiders need to play as a team - Kendall
- North Lancs and Cumbria League cricket season preview
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton
Visit our websites for...
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Man caught with cannabis at Cumbria beach
- Female Millom cop wrestles petrol attacker to ground
- Copeland Borough Council faces major upheaval as half of councillors opt to step down
- Millom mum’s biopsy results anguish
- Experts deliver grim warning after child drug service is axed in Cumbria (15 comments)
- Guilty of rape of girl, 15
- Jenny to bring back beavers
- Cumbria drink-driver warned after latest offence
- Millom unprovoked attack victim speaks out over sentencing
Choosing a pre-school
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|