Barrow man sent back to jail after theft from shop
Last updated at 13:52, Friday, 02 May 2014
A HABITUAL thief who stole a bracelet while underwear shopping in Barrow has been returned to jail.
Scott Archer was sentenced to two months in jail by a judge at Preston Crown Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to theft and possession of an offensive weapon.
The court heard how Archer visited Next, at the Hindpool Retail Park in Barrow on January 19, where he bought a pair of boxer shorts.
At the time he was wanted for recall to prison.
On his way out of the store he picked up a leather bracelet, despite having paid for the boxers.
He was later approached by police, who recognised him as being wanted for recall to prison.
While speaking to Archer, the officers thought he was drunk or under the influence of drugs – and then a claw hammer fell from his sleeve.
He had a shop carrier bag, with the boxer shorts and leather bracelet inside.
There was a receipt for the shorts, but not the bracelet, which was valued at £3.50.
He claimed to have found the hammer and had intended to hand it in to police.
Archer, 34, of Thames Road, Walney, has 78 previous offences on his record, mostly for dishonestly.
In March he was given a prison term for assaulting a police officer, theft and burglary.
Mr Tom Lord, defending, told the court Archer’s release date was at the end of July and said: “He is somewhat institutionalised, having spent most of his life behind bars, serving one sentence or another.
“His offending has involved wounding and robberies in the past, but has tapered off to low level offences.
“In this case, he had paid for the boxer shorts, but then saw the bracelet on the way out and took it”.
The judge, Recorder Michael Blakey, told him “You have an appalling record”.
First published at 13:51, Friday, 02 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|