Barrow man’s ‘hurtful’ texts to his mother-in-law
Published at 14:58, Friday, 22 August 2014
A FATHER-OF-TWO sobbed silently as a court heard how he harassed his wife’s mother and grandmother.
Carl Minnican waited less than two weeks after a restraining order against his wife’s mother expired before he sent her more than 100 texts.
The 28-year-old, of Longway, Barrow, pleaded guilty to two charges of harassment against Karen Lumby and her mother, Edith Benson, at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
Mr John Appleby, prosecuting, told the court Minnican’s wife had been expecting their second child when the events unfolded between July 22 and 28.
Mrs Lumby received a text from her daughter’s phone saying she had given birth. But after replying to congratulate her, she started receiving what was described to the court as “hurtful and derogatory” messages which accused her of favouring other family members, among other allegations. She was sent around 100 in total, causing her distress and upset.
The court heard relationships between the couple and Mrs Lumby had been “quite strained”for some time and the victim suspected Minnican was behind the messages. She found the same texts had been sent to her mother, who also claimed the defendant had rung her screaming and shouting down the phone.
It later emerged the defendant’s wife had not given birth.
Mr Appleby said: “He just doesn’t get on with his partner’s mother and he was aware of the previous restraining order that expired on July 10.
“He said there had been further difficulties but he knew that he shouldn’t be sending them as they’d likely be viewed as harassing and his wife had actually told him not to send the messages.”
Mr Andrew Gallagher, defending, said Minnican had originally sent the texts in the hope of putting the past behind them.
He said: “Mr Minnican accepts the tone of his messages has deteriorated.”
Minnican was sentenced to 60 days imprisonment, suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to pay £165 in costs.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|