Barrow man raided pound store for Valentine’s gift
Published at 16:34, Wednesday, 19 February 2014
A THRIFTY thief who stole a Valentine’s card from a pound shop has been fined.
Vaughan Michael Tant, of Egerton Court, Barrow, pleaded guilty to theft at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The court heard how the 42-year-old had stolen a Valentine’s card, a gift bag and chocolates from Poundland, in Dalton Road, Barrow, on February 3.
Tant appeared alongside his intended Valentine Tracey Elizabeth Parkinson, of Tay Court, Barrow, who pleaded guilty to stealing toiletries from the store on the same date – along with a further charge of theft from B&M Bargains on January 27.
The court heard Tant had originally denied the offence.
Mr Trystan Roberts, defending, told the court: “He tells me he did not accept it initially out of embarrassment rather than a desire to get away with it.
“He did have money on him. He had £5 and wanted to get these items for Miss Parkinson, who sits next to him.
“He wanted to get that to show his feelings for her.”
He said that Tant’s mobile phone went off and he misplaced the money to pay for the items.
Mr Roberts told the court Parkinson had carried out her thefts of £15 worth of toiletries after her benefits ran out.
Parkinson also admitted to stealing toiletries from B&M Bargains but the value of the goods was not known.
Mr Roberts added: “There was little or no planning or sophistication to this, it is not the work of a criminal genius.”
Mr Bob Fletcher, presiding magistrate, ordered Tant to pay a fine of £70, court costs of £50 and a £20 victim surcharge.
Parkinson was ordered to pay a £100 fine, £50 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|