Barrow man jumps into swimming pool for #neknomination stunt
Last updated at 09:35, Wednesday, 29 January 2014
A BARROW man jumped into the pool of the town's leisure centre fully clothed to drink a pint of beer as he took on the "neknominate" challenge which has spread across Cumbria.
The drinking trend, which originated in Australia, has gained popularity in the UK.
Neknominate involves a person downing a pint of alcohol in the most creative way they can, then uploading it to a Facebook page and nominating a friend to do so within 24 hours.
Iain Fordyce of Jarrow Street, Barrow, who carried out the stunt in the pool said: "I think the Neknomination craze is absolutely ridiculous but brilliant.
"The pool stunt we did could easily be painted as reckless but we did try and make sure we didn’t film anyone or offend anyone. There are much worse things happening in the town than 'nek nominations'."
Police have warned revellers in Cumbria about the potential "catastrophic dangers" of the 'Neknominate' drinking craze and have received numerous complaints from members of the public expressing concerns that the craze is becoming increasingly dangerous.
Chief Superintendent Steve Johnson said: “Whilst some may see it as a bit of fun, the consequences could be catastrophic. We are noticing that as the chain goes on as does the intensity of the situations people are putting themselves in.
"I’d ask that people act with responsibility and that they don’t put themselves in danger. I’d also act that if you receive a nomination please do not feel influenced to partake in any activity through peer pressure.”
First published at 09:27, Wednesday, 29 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow - increase in train services announced
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- Case of Barrow man charged with attempted murder adjourned
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|