Barrow man jailed for assaulting his own grandmother
Last updated at 16:44, Friday, 21 February 2014
A BARROW thug who went to see his grandma and asked her for money ended up causing her to fall and bang her head.
Liam Wookey admitted assault when he appeared at Preston Crown Court and was given a four-month jail term.
The 24-year-old, of Longway, Barrow, pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to assaulting Sheila Wookey.
He had been due to face a trial in a couple of weeks’ time, accused of robbing her, but his plea to common assault was accepted by the prosecution.
Mr Keith Harrison, prosecuting, said that on August 27 last year, the defendant took a taxi to Cumrbia Embroidery in Barrow where his grandma worked.
He asked her for money. Her recollection was that she had her purse on a strap around her neck.
Wookey pulled it and she fell over, banging her head and sustaining a cut above her eye.
He apologised when arrested and went on to say in interview he had not intended to hurt her.
The prosecution said it seemed they had since been reconciled. Mrs Wookey had supported a bail application for him and had apparently forgiven him.
Wookey had no offences of assault on his record.
Miss Kimberley Obrusik, defending, said that as soon as the incident happened he immediately apologised and helped his grandma to her feet.
“He is very close to her and was shocked at what happened. He is extremely remorseful for what he has done.”
The defendant had spent five months and seven days in custody. That was the equivalent of a 10-month sentence and the maximum for the offence was six months, said Miss Obrusik.
Judge Anthony Russell QC told Wookey: “Assaulting your grandmother was a very despicable act on your part. It is a bad case of common assault.”
First published at 15:46, Friday, 21 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
disgrace , what a horrible person
Make your comment
- Facebook friends rally round to give Barrow dog life-saving surgery (1 comment)
- Barrow pharmacist is first to prescribe drugs without the doctor
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title (1 comment)
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (20 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (2 comments)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker