Barrow man filmed his dogs while they attacked sheep
Last updated at 09:59, Wednesday, 03 September 2014
A BARROW man who set his dogs on a sheep while filming the attack pleaded guilty to animal cruelty yesterday.
Andrew Stephen Fenton, 29, of Westway, Barrow, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
Mr Steven March, prosecuting the case on behalf of the RSPCA, told the court a raid on Mr Fenton’s home had resulting in the seizure of electronic devices including a phone and a Samsung tablet.
Analysis of the devices recovered videos of the incident, which included audio of Fenton’s voice encouraging the dogs to attack the sheep.
The court heard the attack took place at some point between January 1 and March 19.
Mr March told the court the dogs had been seized and were in RSPCA kennels.
The court heard one of the dogs had been identified by police officers as an American pitbull terrier, a breed banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act.
He said Fenton disputed this claim and said the dog was a Staffordshire bull terrier.
However, Mr March said the breed of the dog was irrelevant to the case, and the identification of the breed was a police matter.
The case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report to be prepared.
During the same hearing, Fenton pleaded not guilty to a separate charge of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal, namely a cat, by baiting dogs to attack it.
He is due to stand trial for that alleged offenceat Furness Magistrates’ Court on November 20.
First published at 09:48, Wednesday, 03 September 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together