Barrow man faces prison for sex attacks on girl
Last updated at 16:24, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
A MAN is facing a jail term after being convicted of subjecting a girl to sexual abuse.
David Thomson, who had strenuously denied the allegations against him, was yesterday cleared of a rape charge, but found guilty of seven other sex offences against the female victim.
Judge Pamela Badley remanded Thomson in custody following his trial at Preston Crown Court.
The 47-year-old, of Whinsfield Avenue, Barrow, had denied the eight charges against him, including three counts of sexual activity with a child.
During his evidence, Thomson insisted that “nothing ever happened”. He told his barrister there was no truth in the allegations made against him.
The prosecution had said the girl had fallen asleep at an address in the Furness area and woke to find Thomson touching her in a sexual way. She was then said to have “freaked out”.
It was further alleged the defendant raped her while she was “out of her head” on ecstasy.
In his evidence, Thomson denied a series of allegations put to him. When asked if he had ever gone to hotels to have sex with strangers or had any interest in “swinging”, he said the thought disgusted him.
He gave a prepared statement to police and after that did not answer any questions put to him.
At the start of the trial, Mr Martin Hackett, prosecuting, said the victim had spoken of what happened while being treated for a depressive illness.
The police became involved and the girl made an official complaint in 2011.
The prosecution claimed the girl had not consented to sex, but the jury cleared Thomson of the rape allegation.
Mr Hackett told the jury: “The defendant put before the police a prepared statement in his defence.
“He asserted that the complainant had exhibited delusional behaviour. He denied each and every charge put to him.”
Thomson will be sentenced at the same court on April 5.
First published at 16:10, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|